6 Ways to Enjoy Better Self-Care
Short on time? Juggling a lot of responsibilities? It can be challenging to find the time to take care of ourselves when there are so many other things to take care of. But taking care of yourself shouldn’t be an afterthought.
You deserve to be happy and healthy, and when you take care of yourself, you’ll have more energy to take care of everything else, too! Here are 6 simple ways to take better care of your mind and body that anyone can fit into their schedule.
1. Recharge Mindfully
Take a ten-minute timeout each day to give yourself undivided, mindful attention. If you can spare a little more time, schedule two or three of these mindfulness moments throughout your day. Use the time to tune in to yourself, relieve stress and banish negativity.
Practice deep breathing to oxygenate your body, check in with your emotions, start a mindfulness journal, meditate, or simply relax and reflect with a cup of herbal tea or taking a walk.
You'll feel less anxious and more prepared for what the day brings if you take a few minutes to find your own, peaceful balance every day.
2. Think About Activity Differently
When you hear the words "be more active" you might immediately think about sweating it out at the gym or making time for long walks. While those are great options that we definitely recommend, there are plenty of ways to be more active every day.
Try these ideas to move more every day:
- Take short walks during work breaks
- Walk up and down a flight of stairs three times
- Do stretching exercises at your desk
- Turn household cleaning into a dance party
- Try a new activity like paddle boarding, shuffleboard or gardening
Sometimes, even if we schedule regular workout times, it’s fun to change things up a bit.
3. Be a Little Selfish
Go on, treat yourself! You deserve it! Find small, simple ways to treat yourself for a healthier mind and body. Here are a few ideas:
- Try an aromatherapy diffuser and explore the power of different scents like peppermint aromatherapy oil, which is uplifting and motivating, or lavender oil, which is relaxing and calming
- Schedule a self-date each week by visiting your favorite art gallery, going window shopping, browsing bookstore shelves or trying a painting class. Enjoy your favorite activities or do something fun and new that will make you smile
- Bring the spa to you by stocking up on fluffy bath towels, magnesium bath salts, aromatherapy and essential oils, and activated charcoal soap to make bath and shower time a more relaxing way to start or end your day
4. Nourish Your Body
Make your food count and take your vitamins. Healthy food doesn’t have to be expensive, difficult or time-consuming to prepare. Choose healthy, protein-rich snacks like bananas and nuts. Opt for meal recipes that use fewer than 10 fresh ingredients and plan your food for the week in advance. You’ll save time and money that way, and you’ll eat healthier.
Be sure your diet consists of whole foods like fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts and nut butters, eggs, lentils and beans, plus sweet potatoes and avocados. Read Pack Your Pantry: How to Make a Real Food Pantry for more tips on saving time and money at the grocery store and stocking your shelves with healthy foods.
Make sure you get all of the nutrients you need to stay healthy by supplementing your diet with multivitamins and mineral supplements. Consider supplements from real food sources. When you choose real food vitamins, you’ll know that your body is getting supplemental nutrients from the best possible sources.
Swanson Health’s Real Food vitamins feature vitamins and minerals from natural food sources, which is the next best thing to getting every nutrient you need from eating whole foods. Learn more about real foods and supplements sourced from real foods in Real Food: Revival or Revolution?
5. Hydrate for Better Health
If you only choose one thing to do for yourself starting right now, get hydrated. It can make a surprising difference in both your body and mind. You’ll wake up more refreshed, your skin may look more vibrant, your immune system and digestion may work more efficiently and you’ll probably even have fewer cravings.
Also, drink a glass of water before a meal and you may be less likely to overeat since water can help you feel full and improve digestion.
6. Love Yourself Every Day
Caring for yourself isn’t a one-time thing; it’s ongoing. Make intentional choices every day that nourish your body and mind. Schedule a daily appointment for me-time and keep it up.
You and your health are worth it, and this might help you greet each day happier, healthier, less stressed and with more energy.