Fresh cabbage combined with vegetables makes a crunchy, delicious side dish for your holiday meal. The true treasure of this dish is the tangy, creamy dressing. Instead of the common American version that uses mayonnaise, the base for this coleslaw is coconut milk. It’s sweet and creamy and delivers an exotic flavor. Celery seed, cayenne and Himalayan crystal salt give each bite zest, and lime juice revitalizes your taste buds.
Time: 15 minutes
Serving size: 1/2 cup
- 1 cup purple cabbage, shredded
- 3 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thinly into strips
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan crystal salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon whole celery seed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, cold pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (ground)
- Toss both kinds of cabbage, carrots, onion and parsley together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix unsweetened coconut milk, Himalayan crystal salt, celery seed, lime juice, extra virgin olive oil and cayenne pepper.
- Toss dressing with cabbage mixture. Let it sit and chill before serving to allow the flavors to blend.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories 97
- Fat 9 grams
- Protein 1 gram
- Sodium 134 milligrams
- Carbohydrates 5 grams
- Fiber 2 grams