How to Detox Your Body
Discussions on how to detox your body come up frequently, especially as our society has become increasingly aware of toxins and pollutants and their effects. You may also be wondering how to naturally detox your body at home—preferably without having to make major changes or spend a fortune. Good news: There are several high-quality supplements for detoxing available which can help you feel your best and enjoy lasting health and wellness.
What is Detoxing?
Any conversation on detoxing your body should begin with a basic understanding of what detoxing is and how it occurs. Your body has an amazing ability to naturally remove toxins and waste through the use of several mechanisms connected to specific organs. For example, your lungs play a role in detoxifying your body by working to remove carbon dioxide from the blood while also supplying it with the oxygen needed to survive.1
Likewise, other organs play roles in detoxification. These include the liver, which works to remove and break down waste and toxins in the blood stream for removal from the body, and even your skin (the largest organ of the body), which uses a special enzyme to break down toxins so they can be removed through perspiration.1
The lymphatic system also works to detox the body, employing parts such as the thymus, lymph nodes and even your bone marrow. This system promotes a healthy balance of fluids in the body, and helps to direct toxins to the liver and kidneys for destruction and elimination.2
Ways to Detox Your Body
Although the body has innate systems in place to remove waste and toxins, there are certain proactive steps you can take to help naturally detox your body. These include:3
- Eating foods that feature healthy antioxidants
- Staying hydrated (which includes maintaining healthy levels of electrolytes)
- Reducing the amount of alcohol or caffeine you ingest daily
- Staying active and exercising regularly
- Getting sufficient sleep each night
- Looking after your gut health by incorporating probiotics into your daily regimen
Supplements to Support Detoxing
In addition to the proactive steps listed above, incorporating targeted supplements can help make sure your body’s systems have all the necessary tools to detox properly. Here is a list of the top supplements to help you detox your body:
- Pure Detox & Liver—A powerful herbal blend crafted to support your liver’s detox function. This formula features milk thistle seed extract, TrueBroc® broccoli seed extract and artichoke leaf extract for potent antioxidant defense.
- Milk Thistle—Promotes overall liver health and detox function with potent antioxidant flavonoids. Each serving delivers 1 g of full spectrum milk thistle seed extract for maximum benefit.
- Milk Thistle, Dandelion & Yellow Dock—This formula combines well-known herbal detox allies, plus beet root, to promote the body’s natural cleansing processes with powerful antioxidant defense against free radicals and nutritional support to help detox-associated organs perform at their best.
- Apple Cider Vinegar—A popular tool traditionally used to naturally detox the body at home, apple cider vinegar (ACV) is made from the fermented juice of crushed apples and is packed with healthy detox nutrients. This convenient capsule formula allows you to enjoy the benefits of ACV without the strong flavor of liquid forms.
- Uric Acid Cleanse Acid Cleanse—A great way to promote healthy kidney and liver function, this formula features an herbal blend that includes turmeric, yucca root, artichoke leaf, tart cherry and milk thistle, among other healthful botanical ingredients. The perfect nature-based way to promote uric acid detoxification.
- NAC Detox—This formula has been designed to activate the body’s natural detox enzymes for liver health while also promoting the production of glutathione for antioxidant defense. Each serving features a blend of NAC (N-acetyl cysteine), milk thistle and BroccoPhane® broccoli sprout concentrate. NAC has also been associated with enhanced respiratory health.4
Benefits of Detoxing
While research continues on the overall benefit to health and wellness offered by various detox methods, most people who make use of detox programs or supplements do so with the ultimate goal of cleansing their bodies from harmful toxins or waste. Other benefits of detoxing your body may include improved sleep, better hydration or even support for healthy weight management.
Is Detox Right for You?
Practicing a detox regimen is something which many people do, and for many reasons. If you’re wondering if a detox plan may be beneficial to your own personal needs, consider the relative benefits of specific detox activities (like avoiding alcohol or maintaining hydration). As with any new health routine, it’s always a good practice to discuss changes with your doctor before beginning.
Finding healthy ways to naturally detox your body at home is easier than ever. By adding a few of the options listed above, and by incorporating the right supplements into your daily wellness routine, you’ll be well on your way to enjoying the benefits of regular body detoxification.
Always serving our customers,
Your friends at Swanson
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.