Unless you’re living under a rock, you’ve heard the news: there is a staggering amount of research out there that confirms a seemingly simple fact: refined sugar is bad.
It's bad for your mind, bad for your weight, bad for your teeth, bad for your overall health—just BAD. But this simple fact presents a complex problem. Refined sugar is in SO much of what we eat on a daily basis. It has infiltrated our whole wheat bread, for goodness sake!
Dr. Lustig’s informative video proclaims sugar ought to be viewed “like cigarettes and alcohol, as something that’s killing us.” Numerous in-depth articles showcase the many sources of evidence against sugar. And widely popular diets are kicking out refined sugars left and right!
Here is the good news...you can easily swap in healthier sugar alternatives. The next time a recipe calls for sugar, feel free to try one of these sugar substitutions instead.
Sugar Replacement Chart
Share this Image On Your Site
Replacing Sugar with Honey
- 1 Cup of Sugar = 3/4 Cup of Honey
- 1 Tbsp. of Sugar = 3/4 Tbsp. of Honey
- 1 tsp. of Sugar = 3/4 tsp. of Honey
Replacing Sugar with Stevia
- 1 Cup of Sugar = 1 tsp. of Stevia
- 1 Tbsp. of Sugar = 1/8 tsp. of Stevia
- 1 tsp. of Sugar = a pinch of Stevia
Replacing Sugar with Xylitol
- 1 Cup of Sugar = 3/8 Cup of Stevia
- 1 Tbsp. of Sugar = 3/8 Tbsp. of Stevia
- 1 tsp. of Sugar = 3/8 tsp. of Stevia
Replacing Sugar with Maple Syrup
- 1 Cup of Sugar = 3/4 Cup of Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp. of Sugar = 3/4 Tbsp. of Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp. of Sugar = 3/4 tsp. of Maple Syrup
Other Natural Sugar Substitutes
- Brown Rice Syrup
- Lo Han Sweetener (Monk Fruit)
Replacing Sugar in Recipes Video Demo
In the video below, we briefly outline the problems with refined sugar and offer some healthy alternatives that you can experiment with in order to use the substitution that best complements whatever it is you're cooking or baking! So next time you make those brownies, consider using honey, agave or even applesauce. Give Mother Nature a chance to showcase her natural sweetness instead of manmade granulated crystals.
Watch the video below for even more ideas for sugar substitutions and learn how to begin cutting refined sugar from your daily diet! It will be worth it, I promise!