Nutrients to Help You Breathe Easy this Spring!
When you think of Spring, images of melting snow, chirping birds and an increasingly greener and livelier landscape most likely come to mind. Unfortunately for many, these pleasant changes in the weather can also come with springtime woes that can lead to respiratory discomfort. Left unchecked, this can put a real damper on what should be one of the most exciting times of the year. The good news is that, with the right nutrients, you can give your body what it needs to fight back so you can fully enjoy the world as it wakes up from its winter slumber.
Whether it’s the powerful antioxidant effects of curcumin, the immune-supporting mineral zinc or the broad-spectrum activity that only EpiCor can deliver, finding the right supplement for you can make all the difference.
Here are 10 excellent options to give you a springtime boost:
Top 10 Nutrients for Seasonal Support
The active compound found in turmeric, curcumin has been used as a traditional tonic for thousands of years. Though it’s used for a wide variety of health applications, contemporary research has zeroed in on curcumin's ability to support the immune system and provide a strong seasonal defense. Studies indicate that curcumin plays a role in supporting respiratory and nasal health in those battling seasonal related issues, while also promoting immune system function.1
Though it may have a funny name, its health benefits are nothing to scoff at. Pycnogenol® is a patented compound derived from the bark of a French maritime pine tree and features some of the most powerful antioxidant flavonoids ever discovered. Among the many health benefits it delivers is support for the body’s ability to battle seasonal effects. Studies indicate taking a Pycnogenol® supplement can be especially helpful when taken prior to the development of effects.2 These studies showed that Pycnogenol® can be particularly effective in boosting respiratory health and sinus health.3
A powerful antioxidant flavonoid, quercetin can be found in a wide range of foods and plants such as apples, various berries, green tea, red grapes, onions and ginkgo biloba, to name just a few. Quercetin’s antioxidant power is highly effective in promoting immune function and studies have also shown that it can support sinus and respiratory health, making quercitin supplementation an excellent option for your springtime health routine.4
In recent years, zinc has become a go-to for seasonal support. Zinc is a mineral and essential micronutrient that offers a plethora of health benefits and functions throughout the body and is excellent at promoting immune system health. Zinc’s increasing popularity for helping battle seasonal difficulties is science-backed. Research indicates that zinc can play a role in supporting respiratory function, muscle comfort and sinus health.5
Water-soluble, vitamin C is an incredibly powerful source of antioxidants and plays a significant role in supporting the strength and function of the immune system. The immune benefits of vitamin C have been shown in studies to shorten the duration of seasonal health concerns.6 Studies have also shown that vitamin C can boost respiratory function, sinus health and skin health.7
Stinging Nettle Root
Don’t let the name scare you, when you’re wrestling with the challenges of Spring, stinging nettle can be the friend you need. While stinging nettle might be best known for its urinary tract and prostate health benefits, its ability to make the springtime woes a little less menacing cannot be overlooked. Clinical studies have shown that introducing stinging nettle root extract into the system can support respiratory function and sinus health for seasonal relief.8
A stellar source of high-metabolite immunogens, EpiCor® is made using natural yeast that goes through a fermentation and drying process to produce a powerful tool for promoting a strong immune system. Studies have shown that taking an EpiCor® supplement can be an excellent way to fight back against springtime woes thanks to its many health-boosting abilities. These abilities include providing seasonal support, boosting eye health, respiratory health and sinus health.9,10
If you’re looking to supercharge your immune system, finding a quality beta glucan supplement should be high on your list of priorities. Beta glucans are sugars found within the cell walls of yeast, seaweed, plants like oats and barley and lichens. An immunomodulator, beta glucan helps promote a healthy immune defense. Furthermore, beta glucans have been studied and shown to boost respiratory health!11
It may not be a well-known supplement, but when Spring arrives and there are more particles in the air, butterbur root has been shown to be helpful. An herbal supplement, butterbur (or petasites hybridus) is a flowering plant native to parts of central Europe. According to studies, butterbur is great for supporting respiratory function in addition to promoting healthy sinuses when taken in supplement form.12
Astragalus is one of traditional Chinese herbalism’s fundamental herbs and it comes packed with more than 100 active compounds like saponins, polysaccharides, amino acids and more.13 Taking an astragalus supplement is an outstanding way to promote cardiovascular and liver health while promoting the immune system. Specifically, studies have indicated that astragalus is particularly effective in supporting respiratory and sinus health.14
Seasonal Respiratory Support
From rain showers to sunshine (and sometimes snow!), spring weather can keep us guessing about what to wear. Thankfully, there's no guesswork with these seasonal helpers for general respiratory effects like watery eyes, sneezing or even a runny nose!
- Ayr® Nasal Mist: Seasonal support for sinuses that helps flush nasal passages to keep airways open
- Allergiemittle Alleraide: Natural, homeopathic support to promote the relief of runny nose, nasal congestion, itchy eyes and more
- Alavert: Temporary seasonal relief featuring non-drowsy, citrus-flavored tablets that dissolve in your mouth
- Similasan Eye Relief: Promotes comfort for red, irritated eyes while offering temporary multi-symptom relief
- MediNatura Relief Tablets: Offers temporary relief of runny nose, watery eyes and more while supporting your body’s ability to fight nasal congestion and minor skin irritation
- Good Sense Relief: Easy-to-swallow tablets that support your body against the effects of the seasonal blahs
Have a Healthy, Happy Spring
We hope this article will help you face the season ahead with the confidence and knowledge of knowing which nutrients and herbal ingredients will keep you feeling your absolute best. We’d love to hear from you and welcome you to share your own springtime health tips below.
Also, be sure to sign up for Swanson Health Emails for the latest and greatest expert tips delivered to your inbox, plus our best springtime promotions!
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
1. Effect of Curcumin. ScienceDirect. Read source
2. Study to Evaluate the Potential of Pycnogenol. PubMed. Read source
3. Inhibitory Effect of Pycnogenol. National Library of Medicine. Read source
4. Quercetin. PubMed. Read source
5. Zinc. National Library of Medicine. Read source
6. Extra Dose of Vitamin C. PubMed. Read source
7. The Effect of Vitamin C. Journal of Allergy, Asthma, and Clinical Immunology. Read source
8. Efficacy of Stinging Nettle. National Library of Medicine. Read source
9. Effects of a Modified Yeast Supplement. Urologic Nursing. See source
10. Immunogenic Yeast-Based Fermentation Product. Pubmed. Read source
11. Baker’s Yeast Beta Glucan Supplementation. National Library of Medicine. Read source
12. Randomized Controlled Trial of Butterbur. National Library of Medicine. Read source
13. Review of the Botanical Characteristics of Astragalus. PubMed. Read source
14. Efficacy and Safety of Astragalus. PubMed. Read source