Best Supplements and Vitamins for Eye Health
Eye and vision health is a priority that everyone needs to maintain for optimal lifelong wellness. In fact, maintaining vision health can include benefits beyond simply seeing well, as healthy eyesight can support an active lifestyle and has also been linked to better overall mental wellness.1
In order to enjoy optimal eye health over time, it’s important to eat a varied diet rich in vitamins and other nutrients that can support the different parts of the eye, such as the retina and macula. The best vitamins for eye health include vitamin A, vitamin C and even vitamin E, along with minerals like zinc and carotenoid pigments such as lutein, zeaxanthin or beta-carotene.2
Modern western diets may be delicious, but they can sometimes have nutritional gaps. That’s where nutritional supplements can play a helpful role. Supplements for eye health are especially beneficial, as some of the most important nutrients may not be easily gleaned from dietary sources alone.
Common Eye Health Issues
Common challenges to eye health can include:
- Eye fatigue
- Eye strain from blue light exposure
- Vision challenges related to blood glucose
- Issues related to macular health
- Other age-related or injury-specific challenges
Who Needs to Take Vitamins and Supplements for Eye Health?
Promoting eye health for vision is a good idea at any age, although many don’t think about it until later in life or once vision challenges appear. Often, enjoying whole-body wellness means maintaining health and defending against future issues, and this holds true for eye health as well.
In short, considering eye health supplements is a great plan, regardless of age or physical condition. As with any supplements, just be sure to discuss your concerns with a doctor to see what the best supplements for eye health might be for you.
How Can Supplements Help My Vision?
Nutritional supplements are intended to complement a healthy diet and lifestyle. This includes protecting against challenges to good vision which may arise over time. In particular, studies have shown the health benefits of certain vitamins and other supplements for general eye health.
When taking these supplements in conjunction with a doctor’s advice, vitamins and carotenoid pigments may help provide defense against damage from free radicals, as well as promote the health of specific parts of the eye, such as the retina and macula.
Nutritional supplementation is about providing your body with the tools it needs to function properly and to help protect it over the long-term for wellness that lasts.
Vitamins and Supplements That Promote Good Eye Health
- Swanson Synergistic Eye Health—A powerful combination formula featuring lutein sourced from marigold extracts and OmniXan® zeaxanthin. These pigment carotenoids work to protect the eye’s macula for long-term health and may even provide defense against eye strain from exposure to blue light from electronic devices such as smartphones or computer screens.
- Swanson Astaxanthin & Zeaxanthin—These antioxidant carotenoids work to defend against free radicals in the body. Astaxanthin is distributed throughout the body in lipid molecules, providing particular benefit to organs rich in fatty acids such as the heart and brain while also supporting healthy eyes. In addition to antioxidant protection, zeaxanthin concentrates in the macula of the eyes to promote healthy central vision and protect against strain from blue light.
- Swanson Lutein—With 40 mg per serving of lutein sourced from marigold extracts, this supplement provides the carotenoid support your eyes need for excellent retina and macula health. In addition to delivering antioxidant defense against free radicals, lutein also works to protect your eyes from strain and fatigue caused by blue light exposure.
- Swanson Bilberry—A powerful plant-based antioxidant, bilberry is known to protect against damage from free radicals in addition to promoting the health of capillaries within the eyes. This can help support visual acuity over time.
- Swanson Vision Defense—Providing science-backed eye health benefits and defense against eye strain from blue light exposure, this formula includes Lutemax® 2020 and an innovative antioxidant blend featuring TrueBroc® broccoli extract, Mirtoselect® bilberry extract and AstaPure® astaxanthin to boost the effects of lutein for healthier retinas.
- Swanson Pycnogenol—Crafted from a standardized form of French maritime pine bark extract, this patented formula boasts many health benefits, including supporting the integrity of capillaries in the eyes. That in turn can help promote visual acuity and support those with certain vision challenges related to blood glucose control.
- Bausch & Lomb PreserVision AREDS 2—Featuring all six clinically backed nutrients found in the original formula, including lutein and zeaxanthin, this supplement has been heralded for its nutritional support of healthy eyes and vision.
Eye Health You Can Look Forward To
Your eyes represent not only a part of your physical appearance, but also the “window” through which you take in the world and all its amazing sights. For this reason, promoting eye and vision health is an important part of any wellness routine. By identifying the best vitamins and other supplements for eye health, you can do your part to protect your vision for years to come. And that’s something we can all look forward to.
Always serving our customers,
Your friends at Swanson
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.