Looking for a quick and easy meal to fuel you up after a great workout without wasting too much time in the kitchen?
This is for you!
Let’s turn your average burger into a nutrient packed, healthy post-workout meal using a delicious sweet potato as a bun replacement. You can even pre-prep all the ingredients and re-heat this meal in a couple of minutes to make this a quick meal option to fuel you up the right way.
This meal is packed with flavor and you only need a few ingredients to make it complete. Ground turkey tends to be lower in saturated fat, making it a great go-to for a more heart-healthy option. Follow the recipe exactly or make it your own with your favorite toppings.
Healthy Fun Fact: Did you know that sweet potatoes are high in fiber and antioxidants? Not only are they tasty, they are also a great complex carb source!
Prep: 15-20 minutes
Time: 45 minute cook time
Serving Size: 6
Serves: 2-3 people
Gluten Free and Dairy Free: Make it vegetarian with a plant-based protein substitute such as Beyond Beef.
1 pound lean ground turkey, 93% recommended
2 sweet potatoes
1/3 cup blended oats
1/8 cup raw diced onion
1 tbs Swanson coconut oil
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp pepper
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp paprika
Toppings of Choice—Some suggestions include:
SWEET POTATO BUNS: Cook first.
1. Pre-heat oven to 400° F.
2. Line baking sheet pan with tin foil and spray with avocado oil cooking spray or spray of choice.
3. Cut your sweet potato crosswise into ¼ inch thick rounds and choose the biggest ones for your bun substitute. Save the rest of the cooked pieces for another meal or snack.
4. Lay circular pieces across the baking sheet pan and cook for 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Make sure to flip pieces halfway through to bake evenly.
5. Once cooked, pick out 6-8 pieces depending on how many burgers you are making, 2 per burger, and place in a skillet on the stove top.
6. Add 1 tbsp of coconut oil in the skillet, lay the 6-8 pieces on the skillet, and toss them for a crispy sweet potato bun. Add some sea salt and pepper if you’d like.
7. Now the buns are complete. Set aside to cool down for 5 minutes.
TURKEY BURGERS: Cook while sweet potatoes are baking.
1. Measure and mix all dry spices together.
2. Blend 1/3 cup of oats in blender.
3. Dice raw onion into small pieces to add into turkey blend.
4. Combine spice mixture and turkey blend with blended oats and 1 egg.
5. Patty 2oz burgers together and place on skillet on the stovetop. Cook until internal temperature reaches 165° F or until fully cooked.
6. Let cool for 5 minutes.
1. Get toppings ready while the turkey and sweet potatoes are cooking.
2. Once the turkey burger and sweet potatoes are cooked, place the turkey burger in between 2 sweet potato slices, add your favorite toppings and enjoy.
1. Put the rest of the turkey burgers and sweet potato slices in glass containers to save for your next post-workout meal.
I hope you enjoy this quick and delicious post-workout meal packed with protein and healthy complex carbs.
Co-founder of Power Plate Meals
Haylee Houkom and her husband Seth were born and raised in West Fargo, ND, where Power Plate Meals all began. The couple had a dream to create a place where people could grab a healthy, balanced meal that was not only fresh, calorie friendly, and packed with flavor, but also convenient for the busy individual and family. They wanted people to know that eating healthy tastes good and wanted to provide that experience for their community.