Our crispy Parmesan Zucchini Fries were an instant hit around the office. So much so we almost didn't get a picture taken before they all disappeared!
These faux mozzarella sticks definitely changed a few opinions about zucchini. The secret to transforming ordinary zucchini into a delicious, crunchy appetizer is really quite simple: a dusting of flour, a splash of egg whites and a coating of gluten-free bread crumbs, Italian spices and grated parmesan cheese.
The best part is they're oven-baked, not deep-fried. No grease. No added fat. No guilt!
Time: 40 minutes
Serving size: 1 handful
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup gluten free all purpose baking flour
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbs Italian spice blend
- 2 egg whites, whisked
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, cut into strips
1. Preheat the oven to 425° F.
2. Cut the zucchini into strips. Mix the flours and the garlic powder in a Ziploc baggie and add the zucchini strips. Shake to coat
3. Whisk the eggs in a bowl.
4. Using a separate bowl or plate, mix the bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning together.
5. Remove your zucchini strips from the baggie, shaking off the excess flour. Dunk each strip individually in the egg and then roll them in the bread crumb mixture.
6. Place on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven for 10 minutes. Flip them over and put return to the oven for another 10 minutes.
Serve plain or with a favorite dipping sauce like marinara.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories 224
- Fat 3 grams [Saturated Fat 2 g]
- Protein 7.5 grams
- Sodium 556 mgs
- Carbohydrates 43 grams
- Fiber 5 grams
|Gluten Free Bread Crumbs||Organic Garlic Powder||Gluten Free Baking Flour|