Veggies, spices and sweet potatoes galore! Loaded Sweet Potato Nachos are the snack you’ve been searching for.
Sometimes called “Irish Nachos,” this recipe is made with hearty sweet potato wedges instead of chips. This lightened-up version of a pub favorite still delivers the same flavor and experience you’re looking for.
Sweet potatoes are loaded with vitamin A, and also contain impressive amounts of vitamin C, fiber and potassium. Pile them high with a bit of cheese, fresh veggies and flavorful spices, and you’ve got yourself a crowd-pleasing appetizer!
Time: 1 hour
Serving size: 1 sweet potato (6 slices)
- Olive oil spray
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, skin on
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded light pepper jack cheese
- 1 medium scallion, sliced
- 1 small jalapeno, sliced
- 1/2 medium tomato, diced small
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- Sliced black olives, optional
- Black beans, optional
- Corn, optional
- Shredded lettuce, optional
- Guacamole, optional
- Greek yogurt or sour cream, for dipping
- Salsa, for dipping
1. Heat the oven to 425° F and lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Cut each sweet potato into 6 equal wedges. In a large bowl, combine potato wedges and oil and toss well. Add paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, salt and pepper and toss to coat.
3. Place wedges in a single layer on the baking sheet and place in oven uncovered. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove; flip wedges and bake for an additional 4 to 5 minutes.
4. When wedges are baked through (soft when poked with a fork), place them into four oven-safe dishes (or one large dish for sharing). Top with peppers, cheddar and pepper jack cheese, and return to the oven for about two minutes to melt cheese.
5. Remove from the oven, and top with scallions, jalapeno, tomato, cilantro and black olives.
6. Serve with your favorite salsa or guacamole on the side.
Customize this recipe with your favorite spices and vegetables! The possibilites are endless!
Recipe adapted from Skinny Taste.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories 226
- Fat 9.7 grams [Saturated Fat 5.5 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Monounsaturated Fat 2.75 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4 g]
- Protein 8.2 grams
- Sodium 331.8 mgs
- Carbohydrates 26.4 grams
- Fiber 4.5 grams
|Olive Oil||Cilantro||Black Pepper|