Full of Fall flavors and fragrant spices, this creamy soup will quickly become a favorite for cold evenings. Delicious, filling and takes less than one hour to prepare!
- 3 (15 oz) cans organic black beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz can organic crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups fresh onion, chopped
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 5 teaspoons organic ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 stick butter
- 4 cups beef broth
- 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 pound cooked ham, diced
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- In a food processor or blender coarsely puree beans and tomatoes.
- In a 6 quart heavy kettle cook onion, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper in butter over medium heat, stirring until onion is softened and beginning to brown.
- Stir in bean puree. Mix in broth, pumpkin and red wine until combined and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Just before serving, add ham and vinegar and simmer, stirring, until heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional: Garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds and shredded cheese.
Serving Size: Makes 9 servings