In this age of cosmetic perfection white teeth are not only de rigueur, but men and women alike are racing off to the dentist to have their teeth bleached to a dazzling shade that dentists refer to as B1. Many people regard pearly white bleached teeth as the hallmark of youth and health, only to discover that the strong hydrogen peroxide required to lighten them leaves their teeth overly sensitive and uncomfortable. Therefore, we’ve put together a few completely safe and natural ideas to keep teeth as white as possible, and more importantly, to maintain the health of the gums that anchor them firmly in place.
The Beauty of Peelu
Ever wonder how people that don’t have an Oral B toothbrush clean their teeth? In Asia, the Middle East and Africa they’ve been chewing sticks from the peelu plant for centuries, and their oral health rivals those of Americans who have access to the most “advanced” dental care in the world. Did you know that the leading toothpastes use hard substances like stone, bone and sand to clean the tooth’s surface? While these materials work well for the short-term, they also can wear away the protective enamel from teeth over time. Those who brush with abrasive toothpastes in an attempt to whiten their teeth, actually cause them to be more yellow by thinning the enamel layer, exposing a soft under layer of dentin that is yellow in color. Eventually, brushing the teeth with harsh abrasives can lead to the complete loss of enamel and consequently, the dentin is then eroded at a quicker rate, which can set the stage for sensitive teeth and weak gums.
Not so with Peelu. The fibers from the Peelu plant are soft and non-abrasive, so they effectively clean with no damage to the enamel of the teeth. Peelu also contains a natural chlorine that whitens; tannic acid and vitamin C, making it beneficial for healthy gums; and sulfur, which helps keep the mouth clean. The fibers themselves leave the mouth feeling clean and refreshed, but many of the Peelu products are also flavored with mint. Peelu is available in multiple forms and flavors:
- Toothpaste—Uses the soft fibers of the peelu plant to naturally clean and brighten your teeth. Unlike most other brands, Peelu Toothpaste is sugar free, contains no artificial sweeteners or preservatives and uses only natural flavorings.
- Dental Fibers—Especially for those who prefer tooth powders to pastes, although dental fibers can be used in combination with the paste for extra cleaning power. Spread paste on toothbrush and then dip in the fiber powder before brushing.
- Extract—Contains peelu extract, aloe, tea tree oil and vitamin C to protect gums and promote good oral hygiene.
- Gum—Peelu fibers clean your teeth while you chew, and the gum contains no sugar, aspartame or corn syrup sweeteners. Available in 6 forms, 4 flavors and multiple sizes.
Products That Would Broaden Mona Lisa’s Smile
- CoQ10—Not only does this enzyme nutrient benefit the heart, it also protects gum tissue.
- Tea Tree Oil—Use by itself or as in ingredient in toothpaste and rinses to effectively clean the entire mouth and promote dental health. You can add 3 drops of tea tree oil to 8 ounces of water for an effective mouthwash. (Just be sure to not to swallow the mixture).
- Xylitol—Evidence shows that this naturally occurring sugar is actually beneficial for the health of both the teeth and gums, particularly when it is used in mints, chewing gum or toothpaste.
What Else Can Help?
- Eat crunchy teeth-cleaning foods like apples, celery, broccoli and carrots. They also contain the minerals calcium and magnesium, which help keep teeth strong.
- Increase the flow of saliva in the mouth because it naturally cleans the mouth. Simply thinking about lemons (or lemonade) and dill pickles may do the trick!
- Brush teeth twice a day and floss or use a water-pick before bedtime. Plaque can form and begin damaging teeth just 12 hours after eating.
- Reduce intake of sugar because it significantly increases plaque accumulation.