Pumpkin and cinnamon are essential fall flavors. Include them in cupcakes, and you've got one knock-out dessert! Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting are a homemade treat sure to impress your guests.
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup flavor-free coconut oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter (softened)
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line or spray muffin tins for about 16 cupcakes.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- In a stand mixer or medium mixing bowl, combine dark brown sugar and eggs.
- To egg mixture, add pumpkin, oil, milk and vanilla. Mix well.
- Slowly add dry mixture to wet, and mix until combined. Careful not to overmix.
- In small mixing bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of cinnamon with white sugar.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of batter into each prepared cup.
- Sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon/sugar mixture over batter.
- Spoon another approx. 1 tablespoon of batter into each cup.
- Top each cupcake with an additional approx. 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon/sugar mixture.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
While cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting:
- In a stand mixer, combine butter, cream cheese, cinnamon and vanilla bean paste.
- Add two cups of powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of heavy cream.
- Add an additional 1 cup of powdered sugar and mix well.
- For desired consistency of frosting, add additional powdered sugar or cream.
- Spread frosting with knife or piping bag onto completely cooled cupcakes.
Serving Size: Makes about 16 cupcakes