Mole Poblano De Pollo
Included in this recipe is a dependable version of a mole sauce, which includes jalapeños, almonds, cinnamon, and chocolate.
- 4 chicken breast halves, bone-in and skin on
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, medium size, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 Tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp thyme leaves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp anise seed
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tomatoes, medium size, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth, plus more as needed
- 3 Tbs almond or peanut butter
- 2 oz chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbs sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350° F. In large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm oil. Place chicken in Dutch oven and cook, turning, until brown on all sides, about 8 - 10 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and set aside. Add onion to the hot pan and stir to brown slightly, about 5 minutes. Add bell pepper, jalapeño pepper, almonds and garlic; sauté until aromatic, about 3 minutes. Add chili powder, ginger, thyme, anise seed and cinnamon. Sauté until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes.
- Pour in 1 cup chicken broth and stir to deglaze pan, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of pan. Whisk in almond or peanut butter, return chicken and any juices to pan. Bring to a boil. Cover pan and transfer to hot oven. Braise chicken until tender, about 1 hour. Add a little chicken broth as needed throughout cooking time to keep level constant.
- Remove pot from oven. Remove chicken from pot; cover to keep warm. Add chocolate to sauce, stirring to melt. Add salt and pepper. Return chicken to sauce in pot and turn to coat evenly. Bring mixture to simmer over medium heat to warm chicken throughout. Remove chicken to serving platter; sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Calories from Fat 367 (59%)
(65%)Total Fat 42g
(49%)Saturated Fat 10g
Polyunsaturated Fat 8g
Monounsaturated Fat 20g
Total Carbohydrate 26g
(27%)Dietary Fiber 7g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.