Tired of making the same old smoothies everyday? Here is a list of the top 15 smoothie ingredients to inspire you to try something new. This isn't a recipe for a smoothie. It's just a simple list of healthy additions to consider adding to your favorite recipe.
1) Bananas- Delicious, affordable and full of potassium.
2) Yogurt or Kefir- Your best option is to find a natural, organic brand without high-fructose corn syrup and more likely have live probiotic cultures.
3) Raw Organic Nuts and Seeds- Great source of healthy fats and protein. Try organic almonds, raw organic cashews or even raw organic pumpkin seeds.
4) Liquid Essential Fatty Acids- Consider cod liver oil, liquid salmon oil, flaxseed oil, walnut oil or any other healthy oil you have on stock. EFAs have numerous benefits including the promotion of good skin health.
5) Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil- A low calorie fat that contains medium chain triglycerides, which are a great source of energy.
6) Berries- Blueberries, raspberries or strawberries are all good choices. If you don't have any fresh berries on hand, try using some organic freeze-dried strawberries.
7) Protein Powder- Protein powders come in a variety of flavors. Other options include hemp protein, pea protein or soy protein. Vanilla whey protein powder is my favorite.
8) Organic Flax Seeds or Hemp Seeds- These both deliver a delicious nutty flavor, fiber and a healthy serving of essential fatty acids benefits. If they are not already milled, make sure to grind the flax seeds in your coffee grinder before you add them to your smoothie.
9) Raw Honey- A great all natural sweetener to consider.
10) Chia Seeds- Possibly the most nutritious natural health food product available. Grind them up in your coffee grinder before adding to your smoothie if you want.
11) Apples- A low glycemic fruit that is a great source of fiber.
12) Powdered Greens- Try the green max powder, organic barley grass powder or organic wheat grass juice.
13) Leafy Greens- Consider adding romaine lettuce, spinach or kale. All are packed with nutrients. If you want more flavor, consider fresh herbs like cilantro or mint.
14) Coconut Water- An incredible source of electrolytes and a great way to thin out the consistency of your smoothie.
15) Ice Cubes- A cold smoothie is a delicious smoothie.
Enjoying a smoothie based on the natural organic foods above can be a great way to improve your health or maintain weight loss. Having a delicious smoothie can also be a great alternative to taking a bunch of pills.
This post was written by Anthony D. Nelson, who would like to thank you for reading his entire post (and looks forward to your feedback in the comments section below).
Do you have a favorite smoothie ingredient that is not on the list? Do you have the perfect smoothie recipe? Leave a comment below or tweet it to @swansonvitamins.
Don't miss a single blog post! Get email updates now!