Rhubarb Oat Crisp Recipe
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Rolled Oats
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon Nutmeg (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup less-fat margarine
- 1 tablespoon fat-free half-and-half
- 2 pounds rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 6-7 cups)
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Fructose
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Coat either a 9 inch pie plate, six 8-ounce ramekins or an 8 x 8-inch square baking dish. with canola cooking spray and set it aside.
- Make crumb mixture by adding oats, flours, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt to medium bowl and stir until well blended. Add chilled margarine (cut into small pieces) and fat-free half and half to the bowl with the oat mixture and use a fork to form a moist crumb mixture, then set this aside as well.
- In a large bowl, add rhubarb, orange zest, orange juice, and vanilla extract and gently mix together with spoon. Combine the 1/3 cup Fructose and the 2 tablespoons cornstarch in a small cup, then sprinkle over the top of the rhubarb mixture and stir. Distribute the fruit mixture evenly in your desired dish. Top the fruit mixture evenly with the crumb mixture.
- Bake until the rhubarb is tender (about 30 minutes for the individual dishes or 40 minutes for the 8 x 8-inch dish). Let cool slightly and serve warm.
You can also substitute one of the 6-7 cups of rhubarb with one cup of strawberries or blueberries for added fruit flavor! I totally consider this a natural health dessert option to share with your friends and family.