Are you quite aware of how very versatile pesto is? One of our favorite side dishes involves mixing some nutritious beans with nutrient-dense kale pesto!
You can try this pesto on your perfectly toasted artisan bread to impress your guests, slather it on your chicken breasts to fool your family into thinking you're far fancier than you really are, or just toss your pasta in it right before watching some foreign flicks to embrace your faux Italian heritage!
No matter which route you want to take, just be tickled when you know you’re combining some serious nutrients from extra virgin olive oil, kale and walnuts. Isn't it just bliss when you can whip something up in a matter of minutes and know it’s high in protein, fiber and, most importantly, full of flavor? Go on, be inventive!
Time: 15 minutes
Serving size: 1/4 cup
- 1 medium bunch kale, center ribs and stems removed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable broth, with 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup parmesan, grated
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorn
- 1 can navy beans, drained
1. In a large pot of boiling salted water, blanch kale, about 1 minute. Drain and rinse with cold water to cool; wring dry in a clean kitchen towel.
2. Make broth by dissolving 1/2 teaspoon of broth in ½ cup of water.
3. Transfer kale and broth to a food processor and add garlic, parmesan, and walnuts, and pulse until it is the consistency you desire.
4. Add oil in a steady stream and process again. Add lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
5. Once cool, add to a can of drained beans.
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories 220
- Fat 10 grams
- Protein 10 grams
- Sodium 326 mgs
- Carbohydrates 22 grams
- Fiber 8 grams
|Extra Virgin Olive Oil||Organic Pure Lemon Juice||Organic Walnuts|