Looking for a healthy alternative to calorie-filled pizza crust or sandwich bread? Look no further than Pita Bread!
The blogger behind Sizzling Veggies shared this fabulous recipe with us. While there aren't any veggies in the actual recipe, it's easy to pack the veggies inside the Pita Bread, or stack them on top.
Pita Bread makes a fabulous base for pizza, and this recipe makes it easy for everyone in the family to create their own individual culinary wonder! Pita Bread also pairs nicely with hummus for a healthy treat. You can even fill the Pitas with sandwich toppings like lettuce, chicken, cheese and a dressing. This recipe makes light, fluffy yet durable Pitas, perfect for filling or topping with your favorite ingredients.
Let your hungry imagination run wild!
Time: 2 hours
Serving size: 1 pita
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons turbinado sugar
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1. In a large bowl, combine warm water, oil, salt and sugar.
2. Add 1 cup of flour and yeast, and stir to mix. Add remaining flour. Move dough to a floured surface and knead into a soft dough.
3. Move the dough into a bowl and lightly oil the top. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave it in a warm place for about 1 hour. (Tip: heat your oven for a minute and switch off. Leave the dough in the warm oven for it to ferment.)
4. Remove dough from the bowl, and punch it down to remove the excess gas. Cut or tear the dough into 8 equal pieces. Form each piece into a ball, and on a lightly floured surface roll each ball into a 6 or 7 inch circle.
5. As you roll each of the pieces into circles, cover them loosely with a kitchen towel. Repeat. Cover all with the towel, and let sit for about 25-35 minutes, until slightly puffy.
6. Preheat oven to 500°F. On an oven-safe cooling rack or a wire rack, place 2 circles side by side. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 4-5 minutes until puffy and light brown.
7. Remove the rack and wrap the pita bread immediately in a damp towel and keep it covered. Repeat. Let cool completely before serving. Store in a zippered bag in fridge or freezer.
Recipe from Sizzling Veggies.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories 185
- Fat 2.5 grams
- Protein 6 grams
- Sodium 285 mgs
- Carbohydrates 34.5 grams
- Fiber 6 grams