Whether you're gluten free by choice or by necessity, there is no reason to sacrifice taste or your favorite comfort dishes on your special diet. Our Gluten Free Baked Mac and Cheese is a savory dish made with your choice of gluten free noodles, organic spices and a flavorful melted cheese sauce topped with paprika and gluten free bread crumbs.
This winning combination will feed your whole family, but you may want to double the recipe because it reheats like a dream, which is perfect for all of you super busy people out there! Gone are the days of feeling like your diet means you have to miss out of some of your favorite recipes.
Time: 40 minutes
Serving size: 1 cup
- 12 ounces gluten free elbow pasta
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white rice flour
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon basil leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 350º F.
2. Cook the pasta according to package directions just until it is al dente—tender, but still quite firm to the bite. Set aside.
3. In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat, and whisk in rice flour. Cook and stir for about 10 seconds, then slowly add in the almond milk. Blend until smooth.
4. Bring the mixture to a bubble (it will thicken as it heats) then reduce the heat to low. Add the shredded cheese, salt, honey, mustard and nutmeg and stir. Stir constantly for 3 to 4 minutes, until the cheese melts. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. In a 6-cup baking dish, combine the cooked pasta and hot cheese sauce. Sprinkle the top with gluten free bread crumbs and paprika. Add tomatoes and dried basil.
6. Bake for about 25 minutes, until heated through and bubbling. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from Gluten Free Goddess.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories 402
- Fat 9.6 grams [Saturated Fat 1.3 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Monounsaturated Fat 5.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5 g]
- Protein 18 grams
- Sodium 664 mgs
- Carbohydrates 58.8 grams
- Fiber 3.5 grams