A chicken from an organic source is one of the healthiest proteins you can eat, and there is nothing more satisfying on a winter night than a homemade baked chicken.
1 organic 4 lb. chicken
3 green onions with small bulbs
3 cups of cooked short grain brown rice
6 grated mushrooms
2 stalks celery
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil or organic coconut oil
To taste: organic garlic salt, unrefined salt, paprika
1. Sauté the sliced onions in the oil in a large frying pan until fork tender and slightly browned.
2. Add the grated mushrooms and sauté until mixed well with the onions.
3. Preheat oven to 350° F.
4. Add the cooked short grain brown rice to the onions and mushrooms until the entire mixture is warmed.
5. Add the rice, onion and mushroom combination to the cavity of the chicken. Secure with the skewer.
6. Cover the surface of the chicken with the sliced celery.
7. Sprinkle on the paprika, garlic and unrefined salt to the outside of the chicken.
8. Add one-half cup of water to the base of the baking dish for moisture.
9. Insert the thermometer into the breast of the chicken.
10. Cover and place in the oven for about 2 hours, or until the thermometer shows the cooking is done. You can also move the leg to see if it is loose--that is a sign the cooking is complete.
11. Let the chicken rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
12. Remove the rice and place in a bowl.
13. Save the extra broth for another cooking experience.
Serving Size: Makes four adult servings