This salad has a spicy and flavorful dressing made from extra virgin olive oil and spices like thyme, oregano, cumin and paprika. Seedless raisins add a dash of color and a bit of texture to this side. Enjoy this nutritious, crunchy and delicious salad today!
Time: 45 minutes
Serving size: 1/2 cup
- 2 pounds baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, cold pressed
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas), rinsed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin (ground)
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan crystal salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (ground)
- 1/2 cup seedless raisins
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- Rinse spinach and let drain in a colander. With water still clinging to it, place half the spinach in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook, tossing with tongs and adding the remaining spinach by the handful until all is added and wilted, about six to eight minutes. Drain in the colander. Let cool slightly, then coarsely chop.
- Carefully wipe out the pan, then heat 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add the red onion and cook, stirring, until the onion is tender and lightly browned, about eight to 10 minutes. Stir in chick peas, garlic powder, thyme leaves, oregano flakes, cumin, salt and paprika.
- Using a potato masher, mash some of the chick peas, then cook, stirring, for three minutes. Stir in raisins and broth, scraping up any browned bits. Add the chopped spinach and stir gently to combine.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil just before serving.
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to two days. Bring to room temperature or reheat on medium-low heat before serving.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories 118
- Fat 4 grams
- Protein 5 grams
- Sodium 264 milligrams
- Carbohydrates 16 grams
- Fiber 4 grams