Meringues are often a daunting dessert, but they don’t have to be! These Chai Meringues are simple, subtle and so delicious. At only 6 calories per piece, they’re a light and tasty way to enjoy the sweet taste of chai.
Bite-sized Chai Meringues make a perfect fancy dessert, a companion for a hot cup of coffee or tea, or just a quick snack on the way out the door. They don’t take long to make, and are a unique spin on a traditional French dessert.
Blow away your holiday guests and give these Chai Meringues a try. You’ll impress yourself with how well they turn out—we promise!
Time: 30 minutes
Serving size: 4 meringues
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Dash black pepper
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 300° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Using an electric mixer (a standing mixer works best), beat egg whites, salt, and lemon juice until soft peaks begin to form—approximately 3 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, combine the spices (including pepper) and sugar. Add them to the egg whites one tablespoon at a time and continue to beat for another few minutes, until the meringue is stiff and can stand up on its own.
4. Fill a pastry bag with the meringue and form small circles on the lined baking sheet about 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter. You can also spoon the meringue onto the sheet if you don’t have a pastry bag. Meringues will stay in the shape you form.
5. Bake for 20–25 minutes until golden and crisp. Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired, and let cool before serving.
Adapted from My Fare Foodie.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories 24
- Fat 0 grams
- Protein 1 gram
- Sodium 28 mgs
- Carbohydrates 5 grams
- Fiber 0 grams
|Organic Cinnamon||Organic Pure Lemon Juice||Organic Ground Ginger|