Baked Sweet Potato Tots combine the fall flavors of sweet potatoes with a salty, crispy coating.
Sweet potato tots are becoming a staple in many restaurants, but this baked variety means you can easily create this delicious side dish at home, all while saving hundreds of calories. It's a much healthier option than a deep-fried version! Sweet potatoes are filled with essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin A and iron.
This recipe allows you to modify to your family's tastes—make them a little spicy or even sweeter by altering the ingredients as you choose. Baked Sweet Potato Tots are perfection on a plate!
Time: 1 hour + 10 minutes
Serving size: 5 tots
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 tablespoon flavor free coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
1. Poke holes in the sweet potatoes with a fork and bake in a 400 F oven for 45 minutes to an hour until softened, OR in the microwave for about 5–6 minutes. Let cool to touch.
2. While sweet potatoes are cooking, prepare coating. Add all ingredients except coconut oil to a food processor and blend until incorporated. While mixing, stream in coconut oil. Add more salt or sugar to taste.
3. Peel sweet potatoes and mash with cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Do not over-mash; aim for a rough mash instead of a puree. Add sugar to taste.
4. Set in fridge to chill and preheat oven to 375 F.
5. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Scoop out a scant tablespoon of sweet potato puree and form into an oblong, tot-like shape.
6. Transfer to coating mixture and use a spoon or fingers to gently toss to coat. Transfer to baking sheet and spritz the top with olive or canola oil to help them crisp up (optional).
7. Bake for 20 minutes, then gently flip. Bake for an additional 20 minutes then serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories 231
- Fat 2.5 grams [Saturated Fat 1.6 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Monounsaturated Fat 0 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g]
- Protein 3.2 grams
- Sodium 301 mgs
- Carbohydrates 49.5 grams
- Fiber 5.4 grams