Baked Southwest Egg Rolls combine zesty southwest flavors with fresh, colorful veggies. They're a great alternative to traditionally fried egg rolls, and are so easy to modify!
The main ingredients include corn, beans and spinach, but feel free to add chicken or other vegetables to satisfy your taste buds. These egg rolls are a great appetizer, and at only 123 calories a piece you can feel comfortable enjoying the rest of your meal.
Each roll is an explosion of spices and veggies all combined in a crispy baked shell. Give 'em a try this weekend!
Time: 30 minutes
Serving size: 1 egg roll
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed & squeezed dry (1 package)
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 cup shredded pepperjack cheese
- 4 ounces chopped green chilies, drained (1 can)
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 package egg roll wrappers, (21 wrappers)
- 1 egg, beaten (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425° F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray or olive oil.
2. In a large bowl, combine everything but the egg roll wrappers and egg, starting with corn.
3. Place about ¼ cup of the mixture in the center of one egg roll wrapper. Fold the bottom edge over filling. Fold the sides toward the center, covering the filling. Roll tightly, ensuring the ingredients are sealed inside. Using your finger, moisten remaining edge with egg (substitute with water if preferred). Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
4. Place seam-side down on prepared baking sheet. Brush tops of egg rolls lightly with olive oil or egg.
5. Bake for 8–10 minutes, flip and bake for an additional 5–7 minutes until lightly brown and crispy.
6. Serve warm with your favorite dip. Try salsa or guacamole!
Recipe adapted from Nutritious Eats.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories 123
- Fat 3 grams [Saturated Fat 1.5 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Monounsaturated Fat 0 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1 g]
- Protein 6.3 grams
- Sodium 285 mgs
- Carbohydrates 19 grams
- Fiber 2 grams