This savory Sicilian side dish will be a sensational hit with your taste buds, family and friends. Just spread it on your favorite breads and share the deliciousness of a simple and veggie-loaded recipe.
It has the perfect blend of earthy fennel that is balanced with rich tomatoes and sweet raisins. Fresh and nutrient-dense ingredients combine flawlessly in this winning recipe!
Soon, you will be making double batches to have on hand in the fridge to satisfy your hungry friends and family during your summer barbecues. This is truly the perfect summer appetizer, snack or side dish. Summer's bounty never tasted so good.
Time: 45 minutes
Serving size: 1/4 cup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup fennel bulb, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 14 oz of crushed tomatoes
- 9 oz package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and chopped
- 3 teaspoons parsley
1. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, fennel, and garlic. Sauté 5 minutes or until onions begin to turn clear and celery is tender.
2. Add in raisins, vinegar, sugar, capers, lemon zest, salt, pepper, tomatoes and artichokes. Bring ingredients to a simmer and cook over medium-low heat until liquid almost evaporates. Sprinkle with parsley.
3. Serve chilled or at room temperature, alone as a side dish, or spooned onto bruschetta.
Recipe adapted from My Recipes.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories 52
- Fat 1 gram
- Protein 0.72 grams
- Sodium 96 mgs
- Carbohydrates 9.77 grams
- Fiber 1 gram