Take taco night up a few notches with Ancho Pomegranate Pulled Brisket Tacos. This shredded brisket recipe comes to us courtesy of Alejandra from the Always Order Dessert blog.
A combination of spices for a beef rub makes the brisket shine with a savory, slightly spicy and sweet taste. Slowly cooking the beef in a pomegranate-based liquid blend allows it to stay tender, juicy and flavorful, while making it easy to pull apart.
Ancho Pomegranate Pulled Brisket Tacos are great for large parties or family gatherings. You can also freeze leftover meat so you can enjoy these tacos anytime.
Time: 3 hours
Serving size: 1/8 cup
- 2 tablespoons ground ancho chili
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons coffee
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5-7 pounds beef brisket, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups pomegranate juice
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 6 tablespoons salt
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the ancho, cocoa, coffee, paprika, cinnamon, cumin, oregano, sugar, and salt.
2. Cut the brisket into 4 to 6 large pieces, and rub completely with the spice mixture. Reserve any unused spice mixture for future recipes.
3. In a large heavy-bottom pot or dutch oven, heat a few tablespoons of oil, and sear the pieces of brisket in batches, turning to sear on all sides. Return all the brisket pieces to the pot, pour in the pomegranate juice. Add the bay leaves, onion halves, and garlic cloves.
4. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to the lowest setting, cover, and let simmer at least 3 hours, or until the meat is very tender. The meat can also be cooked in a slow cooker.
5. Remove the meat from the pot and use a fork to shred. Serve along with tortillas and other toppings to make tacos. Alejandra from Always Order Dessert includes Greek yogurt, pickled onions, cilantro, queso fresco and hot sauce for toppings.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories 312
- Fat 12 grams [Saturated Fat 4 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Monounsaturated Fat 6 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g]
- Protein 27 grams
- Sodium 2 grams
- Carbohydrates 23 grams
- Fiber 4 grams