As your new, in-house Swanson dietitian, I’m here for you on your health and wellness journey. My goal is to share healthy habits, foods, and tips and tricks to help you live your life to its fullest, and healthiest. One of my favorite Swanson organic food products is our Certified 100% Organic Black Chia Seeds. Not familiar with chia seeds (or chia)? No problem. Here are a few fun facts about chia seeds:
- Chia is an edible seed that comes from the desert plant Salvia Hispanica, and it’s typically grown in South America.
- Chia seeds are a concentrated super-seed! Chia seeds are loaded with healthy omega-3 fatty acids, carbohydrates, protein, fiber, antioxidants, and calcium.
- Chia seeds have a very mild, nutty flavor, which makes them very easy to add to foods and beverages. You will often find them sprinkled on yogurt, cereals, vegetables, and rice dishes, or mixed up in smoothies and baked goods.
I encourage you to try out this superfood, and I'm excited to share a tasty new recipe that I’ve whipped up just for you: Autumn Harvest Chia Pudding. This chia seed pudding recipe is packed with protein, calcium and iron. Plus, it's a quick and easy overnight breakfast (or snack!) chia recipe that’s sure to help fuel your busy day.
Autumn Harvest Chia Pudding
Time: 10 minutes of prep (+ chill overnight)
- Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk, 1 cup
- Swanson Organic Black or White Chia Seeds, 3 tbsp
- Swanson Organic Raw Wildflower Honey, 1 tbsp
- Vanilla Extract, ¼ tsp
- 100% Pure Pumpkin, 2 tbsp
- Swanson Organic Cinnamon (Ground), ⅛ tsp
- Swanson Organic Seedless Raisins, 2 tbsp
- Swanson Organic, Raw Pumpkin Seeds, 2 tbsp
- Optional: top with mixed fruit
Combine almond milk, chia seeds, honey, vanilla, pumpkin, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Whisk combined ingredients thoroughly for one minute. Pour mixture into a jar or a bowl; cover tightly, and refrigerate overnight. Top with raisins and pumpkin seeds for an added crunch (or with mixed fruit); serve and enjoy!
Nutrition Information (1 serving): 403 calories, 19g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 193mg sodium, 54g total carbohydrate, 15g fiber, 31g sugar, 10g protein, 106% vitamin A, 4% vitamin C, 52% calcium, 21% iron
I hope you enjoy this Autumn Harvest Chia Pudding, especially as autumn approaches and pumpkin spice goodies challenge our efforts to make healthy choices!
Here are some of my other superfood faves from Swanson's catalog of health products: Organic Pumpkin Seeds | Organic Tart Cherry Juice | Organic Matcha Green Tea | Organic Popcorn |Organic Steel Cut Oats | Organic White Quinoa
Looking for more recipes? Check out Swanson's Parmesan Zucchini Fries Recipe. It's low fat and low sodium. Simply delicious!
About Lindsey Bristol, MS, RD
Registered Dietitian, Swanson Health Products
Lindsey is a nationally recognized registered dietitian and nutritionist with a soft spot for ice cream. She empowers people to take charge of their health by finding the balance between the pleasure and nourishment in food.
Her philosophy is that you should take care of your body because it’s the only permanent home you have. It’s what inspired her to pursue a career in nutrition and, ultimately, led her to Swanson Health Products.