Curly or straight, blonde or brunette, short or long, men or women… when it comes to hair, many people wonder what they can do to make it longer, thicker and healthier.
One of the keys to tackling hair health is to approach the situation from the inside out. Just like the rest of your organs and tissues, hair needs nutrients. Making the switch to a healthier diet can be all the difference your hair needs.
While they might not lead to immediately long, luscious locks, these nutrients, foods & tips are known to promote hair growth. Read on!
Nutrients for Hair Growth
Protein: Because hair is made of protein, it’s an essential nutrient for strong and healthy hair. Without enough protein, hair can become dry, weak and brittle.
Iron: Too little iron (anaemia) can be a major cause of hair loss. This makes iron an important mineral for hair health.
Vitamin C: Vitamin C is an antioxidant, and it helps the absorption of iron into the body.
Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Omega-3s are found in the cells on the scalp, and they help nourish hair follicles. They also hydrate the scalp and keep hair shiny and healthy.
Vitamin A: This vitamin helps to produce a substance called sebum. Sebum is created by the scalp, and it acts as a natural conditioner. It keeps hair from breaking off or drying out and becoming itchy.
Zinc & Selenium: Zinc and selenium help to keep hormone levels regulated, making them a good support for healthy hair.
Vitamin E: This antioxidant supports hair follicles, leading to optimal hair growth.
Biotin: Biotin is a B vitamin that is often called the “beauty vitamin.” It supports healthy hair growth, as well as healthy skin and nails.
Vitamin D: Vitamin D supports normal hair growth cycles, follicles and hair growth.
Folate: Folate (or folic acid, the synthetic version of folate) helps renew cells that promote hair growth.
Foods to Nourish Hair Growth
Vitamin D • Protein • Omega-3 Fatty Acids • Selenium
Folate • Vitamin C • Vitamin E
Vitamin E • Selenium • Folate
Vitamin A • Vitamin C
EFAs • Folate • Vitamin E
Biotin • Vitamin E
Vitamin C • Folate • Protein
Chia & Flax Seeds
Omega-3 Fatty Acids • Protein • Selenium
Vitamin A • Iron • Folate • Vitamin C
Omega-3s • Biotin • Protein • Zinc • Iron • Folate
Zinc • Protein • Iron • Omega-3s • Calcium • Vitamin C
17 Unique Tips for Hair Growth
- Massage your scalp to stimulate hair growth.
- Rub castor oil or coconut oil on your scalp.
- Wear a shower cap overnight. The heat buildup is said to increase sebum production.
- Try essential oils like peppermint, lavender or rosemary for hair growth.
- Apply a cayenne pepper & coconut oil mask to your scalp.
- Try a maple syrup hair mask for the appearance of silkier hair.
- Use apple cider vinegar as a hair rinse.
- Drinks lots of water to keep your whole body hydrated.
- Skip the heat tools. They can lead to breakage, so let your hair air dry every once in a while.
- Rub your fingernails together for 5-20 minutes a day. Rumor has it the nerve endings in your nails are connected with your scalp, leading to hair growth.
- Combine cinnamon with coconut or olive oil and massage into the scalp. Cinnamon is also rumored to lighten your hair color.
- Rub Onion juice and/or garlic on your scalp (smelly but apparently effective).
- Try massaging with aloe vera.
- Swap your cotton pillow case for a silk one. This is said to prevent breakage.
- Instead of eating them, try beating an egg and applying it to your hair & scalp.
- Massage vodka into your scalp to stimulate follicles.
- Lastly, perhaps the most unique tip: Hang upside down. It’s said to increase blood flow to your head, stimulating hair follicles.