Penne with Chard, Tomatoes, and White Beans
This quick sauce packs a nutritional punch. The chard, tomatoes and beans all are high in healthful phytochemicals.
- 1 lb penne pasta, uncooked
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup prepared or homemade marinara sauce
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups chard, coarsely chopped
- 15 oz canned white beans (cannelini, navy or white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, optional
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese*
- Boil water for pasta and cook pasta for about 10 minutes, until done.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and garlic and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until onions are just starting to turn brown. Pour in marinara sauce and canned tomatoes and stir to combine. Add chard, white beans, wine (if desired), and pepper.
- Drain pasta and place in a bowl. Pour sauce over pasta and top with Parmesan cheese.
* Allergy notes: The egg protein lysozyme is an unlabeled additive in some cheeses. People allergic to eggs should eliminate any cheese in this recipe.
Calories from Fat 54 (11%)
(9%)Total Fat 6g
(10%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 83g
(36%)Dietary Fiber 9g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.