Summary: Day-to-day management and coordination of employees engaged in analyzing dietary supplements and food to assure adherence to specified quality parameters. Ensure that all testing equipment is suitable for use, maintained and calibrated to provide accurate and reliable results.
- Lead the analytical laboratory team in conducting assays to assure product quality matches the company’s specifications. Serve as a working manager performing routine analytical work as needed.
- Review assay data and determine acceptability of analytical work and analyst performance. When satisfied with the accuracy of the results, sign off on all analytical results report.
- Maintain proficiency in all laboratory procedures. Assure that only the most appropriate and scientifically validated methods are used for each assay.
- Participate in instrument selection, evaluation, acquisition, installation and performance monitoring; oversee equipment maintenance and trouble-shooting.
- Assure proper inventories of consumables and other laboratory supplies-reference standards, chemicals, glassware, gases, etc.- to assure uninterrupted laboratory work-flow.
- Coordinate work-flows and prioritization with other department managers to assure results for each tested product are available in the required time-frame.
- Write and maintain laboratory standard operating procedures (SOPs). Assures all laboratory SOPs are followed and regulatory requirements are met (i.e. 21 CFR Part 111 Dietary Supplement Good Manufacturing Practices, Good Laboratory Practices, OSHA, etc.)
- Reviewer approver for Electric Laboratory Notebook (ELN) system.
- Assure that the laboratory is kept clean and organized at all times.
- Maintain a positive and professional working relationship with peers, management, and support resources, with a constant commitment to teamwork and exemplary customer service.
- Conducts self in the presence of customers and community so as to present a professional image of SHP.
- Prior laboratory management experience preferred
- Experience with the following instrumentation required: HPLC-DAD-MS, GC, ICP-MS, FT-IR
- Extensive experience with chromatographic analytical techniques preferred
- Experience in analytical testing of vitamins, minerals, botanicals, and other dietary supplement ingredients and food products preferred
- Ability to understand and explain the principles behind the various testing equipment and methods
- Ability to translate technical data to non-technical individuals
- Knowledge of general good laboratory procedures and wet chemistry, including lab safety
- Ability to prioritize tasks and handle multiple projects at once
- Good trouble-shooting skills
- Ability to work independently
- High attention to detail and the importance of accuracy
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Clear written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrate a positive attitude
Supervisory responsibilities: Manages subordinate supervisor(s) who supervise employee(s); is responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of these units. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and experience required. Masters Degree in chemistry or other science-related field required and two years of laboratory experience required; PhD in analytical chemistry preferred; Bachelor of Science degree may be considered depending on prior experience. Or; an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential responsibilities and duties of the job as listed above
Equipment and software used:
- Laboratory instruments and all their accessory equipment (auto-samplers, software, etc.)
- Equipment includes HLPC-DAD-MS, GS, ICP-MS, FT-IR
- Microwave for equipment
- Microsoft Office
- Multiline telephone system
- Fax machine
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable a qualified individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position as required by state and federal law.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time-frequently
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time-frequently
- Ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time- frequently
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds- occasionally