Risotto is a popular dish, but this version is anything but ordinary. This is a flavorful, zesty combination of Arborio rice, fresh zucchini and tomatoes. It also features unique spices, a splash of cooking wine and parmesan cheese. It’s complex enough that adults will appreciate the taste yet tasty enough that the children will love it, too! With bright colors, bold flavors and less than 400 calories per serving, this is sure to be your family’s new favorite.
Time: 60 minutes
Serving size: 1/6 of recipe
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable broth, with 3 cups water
- 2 cans (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup shallots, sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, cold pressed, divided
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 1/3 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup cooking wine
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped or sliced
- 3 large zucchini, cubed
- 1 teaspoon parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Dissolve 1.5 tablespoons vegetable broth powder in 3 cups of water.
- Combine one cup of vegetable stock and one can of tomatoes in a bowl. Reserve the rest of the stock for later in the recipe.
- In a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, sauté shallots in 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Add garlic powder and marjoram and stir. Cook for one minute. Add rice and cook for two more minutes, stirring often.
- Add cooking wine and sun-dried tomatoes and stir until all liquid has been absorbed. Add half of the tomato stock liquid and cook, stirring frequently until the liquid has been absorbed. Add second half of the tomato stock liquid and cook. Stir until liquid has been absorbed. Add remaining 2 cups of stock and 1/2 can tomatoes, 1/4 cup at a time, stirring and letting the liquid absorb before adding more, until all the stock has been used. Test the rice to make sure it's al dente.
- In a separate pan, sauté zucchini with 1 tablespoon olive oil for a few minutes, until edges are slightly browned. Add sautéed zucchini, 1/2 of the remaining can of tomatoes, parsley, parmesan and pepper to the large pot and heat for five minutes.
- Remove from heat and cover pot with the lid. Let mixture sit covered for five minutes. Remove cover, stir, taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Recipe adapted from A Family Fest.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories 397
- Fat 9.5 grams [Saturated Fat 2 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Monounsaturated Fat 6 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5 g]
- Protein 14 grams
- Sodium 736 milligrams
- Carbohydrates 58 grams
- Fiber 7.6 grams
|Organic Marjoram||Vegetable Broth||Garlic Powder|