It's fun to indulge in treats like ice cream; however, enjoying a treat like that a few times a week can really add up! Now there's a way to enjoy ice cream without a large amount of calories and additives. This recipe uses natural ingredients like frozen bananas and cocoa powder as a flavorful base and allows you to add whatever other flavors you'd like! Our featured recipe uses cinnamon and vanilla, but other combinations work well, too, like fresh fruit, honey or peanut butter. You can also add pistachios or other nuts for a crunchier snack. No matter how you enjoy it, this vegan chocolate banana ice cream is a great treat. Plus, at under 100 calories per serving, you can enjoy it guilt free!
Time: 4 hours
Serving size: 0.75 cup
- 3 whole bananas, peeled, chopped & frozen
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- pistachios, unsalted, to garnish
- To begin, peel and chop bananas, lay out on a cookie sheet and freeze for at least two hours.
- Put frozen banana pieces into a food processor or blender, and blend until it starts to get creamy and smooth.
- Add cocoa powder, vanilla and cinnamon; continue blending.
- Add almond milk a few tablespoons at a time until desired consistency is reached, blending between additions.
- For best results, put ice cream in the freezer for an hour or two, then serve. Garnish with pistachios or topping of your choice. It can also be served immediately.
Adapted from Modern Parents Messy Kids.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories 97
- Fat 1 gram [Saturated Fat 0.2 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Monounsaturated Fat 0 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g]
- Protein 2 grams
- Sodium 34.5 milligrams
- Carbohydrates 22 grams
- Fiber 3.6 grams
|Organic Cocoa Powder||Vanilla Extract||Organic Cinnamon|