It's pumpkin season and this year you can bring the great taste of autumn to your table with Swanson Pumpkin Pilaf. This savory, filling dish works either as a side dish or as a light, vegetarian-friendly main dish. With fresh pumpkin and bulgur wheat, this pilaf packs in the flavor without packing on the calories.
Pumpkins are an excellent source of nutrition. They deliver fiber and vitamin A. If your collection of pumpkins has already been reserved for jack-o-lanterns, you can use canned pumpkin instead. While traditional pilafs are made from rice, ours features bulgur. Made from wheat, bulgur delivers more fiber and protein than rice and is lower on the glycemic index. Bulgur has a mild, nutty flavor and is a common ingredient in Middle Eastern cuisine. Swanson Organic Curry Powder, a blend of spices that includes turmeric, coriander, cumin, fenugreek, cardamom, cloves and more, gives this pilaf a slightly zesty Indian flavor. Swanson Organic Cinnamon Sticks add a soft hint of cinnamony sweetness.
A perfect dish for pumpkin-lovers, Swanson Pumpkin Pilaf is a hearty and flavorful way to use this fall favorite!
Time: 40 minutes
Serving size: 1/4 cup
- 2 teaspoons Swanson Organic Certified 100% Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Cold Pressed
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4 in pieces (may substitute canned pumpkin)
- 2 Swanson Organic Certified Organic Cinnamon (Whole Sticks)
- 2 Swanson Organic 100% Certified Organic Bay Leaves - Whole
- 2 teaspoons Swanson Organic Certified Organic Curry Powder
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Quick Cooking Bulgur Wheat
- 2 cups Pacific Natural Foods Organic Vegetable Broth - Low Sodium
- 1/4 teaspoon Swanson Ultra Himalayan Crystal Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Black Pepper
Heat olive oil in medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion, pumpkin, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and curry powder. Cook, stirring frequently, for five minutes, or until onion is tender. If mixture starts to stick to the pan, add water as necessary.
Add bulgur and cook and stir for two minutes. Stir in broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed. Remove bay leaves and cinnamon sticks. Fluff with fork before serving.
*In lieu of broth, you can substitute an appropriate amount of broth powder with 2 cups of water.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories 68
- Fat 1 gram [Saturated Fat 0.1 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Monounsaturated Fat 0.6 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0.07 g]
- Protein 30 grams
- Sodium 117 mgs
- Carbohydrates 13 grams
- Fiber 3 grams
|Bulgar Wheat||Extra Virgin Olive Oil||Organic Cinnamon Sticks|