How much do you know about lentils? These little legumes are packed with nutrition and make a great substitute for meat. Your family won’t even realize this recipe is vegetarian when they taste the tangy, delicious combination of ingredients. Each serving delivers more than 10 grams of protein and only 186 calories! Spread a scoop on a whole wheat bun with a slice of cheese and avocado, and you’ve got yourself the perfect sandwich. If you’re really feeling daring, try a scoop on top of a baked potato or even nachos. Don’t say we didn’t warn you—this stuff is delicious!
Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Serving size: 1/2 cup
2 cups water
1 cup lentils
1 small onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 garlic clove, diced
1 tablespoon chili powder (ground)
1 teaspoon paprika (ground)
1 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup water
2 tablespoons worcestershire
1 teaspoon stoneground mustard
- Rinse the lentils thoroughly and place in a pot with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, and then lower to a simmer for approximately 20 minutes. Be careful not to overcook as the lentils will continue cooking with the other ingredients.
- In a separate large pan over medium heat, sauté the onion, bell pepper and carrot in water for 5-10 minutes. Add the garlic clove, chili powder and paprika. Cook and stir constantly for two minutes.
- Drain the lentils and add them to the veggie mixture. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer over medium heat for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve on whole wheat bun with desired toppings.
Adapted from Squash Blossom Babies.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories 189
- Fat 0 grams [Saturated Fat 0 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Monounsaturated Fat 0 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g]
- Protein 10 grams
- Sodium 125 milligrams
- Carbohydrates 34 grams
- Fiber 7.9 grams
|Organic Chili Powder||Ground Paprika||Worcestershire Sauce|