Chicken is one of the most versatile sources of lean protein. It can be baked, covered in sauce or paired with veggies. What better way to amp up classic chicken than combine it with ham and two kinds of cheese? This is a delicious entrée full of flavor but not calories. Each serving has only 361 calories and a whopping 54 grams of protein. It’s crispy, gooey and tender, all at the same time!
Time: 1 hour
Serving Size: 2 chicken breast halves
- olive oil spray
- 12 thinly sliced skinless, boneless chicken breasts, 3 ounces each
- Himalayan crystal salt blend
- black peppercorn
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 slices thinly sliced lean deli ham (5 oz.), sliced in half
- 6 slices reduced fat Swiss cheese (4.4 oz), cut in half
- Preheat oven to 450°. Prepare a large non-stick baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Wash and dry the chicken pieces. (Note: We used 6 oz. chicken breasts cut in half.) Lightly pound the chicken until it's fairly thin but still intact. Lightly season with salt and black pepper.
- On a working surface, lay one piece of chicken down. Place a slice of ham on top of the chicken and then the cheese. Roll and set aside, seam-side down. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and water in a bowl for an egg wash.
- In a separate bowl, combine breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, thyme and garlic powder.
- Dip the chicken in the egg wash and then into the breadcrumbs, doing your best to get the chicken fully covered in bread crumbs. Place the chicken on the baking sheet, seam-side down. Optional: Spray the top of the chicken with cooking spray.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until cooked through.
Recipe adapted from Skinny Taste.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories 361
- Fat 6 grams [Saturated Fat 4 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Monounsaturated Fat 1 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g]
- Protein 54 grams
- Sodium 640 milligrams
- Carbohydrates 9 grams
- Fiber 1 grams