A good bread loaf is a thing of beauty: a warm, soft bread wrapped in a crunchy, golden-brown crust.
Lemon Berry Greek Yogurt Bread makes it easy for you to achieve professional baker status from your own home. It’s easy to make, delightfully flavorful and will satisfy any crowd. It’s perfect for any meal from breakfast to dessert!
At under 300 calories per slice, this decadent bread feels light and tastes rich. Gather the fresh blueberries and lemon zest… it’s time to get baking!
Time: 1 hour + 25 minutes
Serving size: 1 slice
- Olive oil spray
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2/3 cup turbinado sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free lemon flavor Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons flavor free coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- grated zest of two lemons
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly coat the bottom and sides of a 9x5 bread pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, eggs, oil, lemon zest, vanilla extract and lemon extract.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir until just combined. The batter will be extremely thick.
5. To prevent the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the bread, sprinkle them with about a teaspoon of flour, and toss to coat. Carefully fold the blueberries into the batter.
6. Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan, and lightly sprinkle the top with sugar.
7. Bake for 55-65 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a skewer comes out clean. If your loaf appears to be getting too brown, tent it with foil for the last 15 minutes of baking.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories 296.3
- Fat 9.9 grams [Saturated Fat 7.3 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Monounsaturated Fat 0.6 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g]
- Protein 7.8 grams
- Sodium 356.7 mgs
- Carbohydrates 44.8 grams
- Fiber 3.1 grams