Kids love fruit snacks, but parents don't always love the artificial flavors and ingredients found in them. Instead of buying the pre-packaged snacks, make your children sugar-free, all-natural Swanson Healthy Fruit Snacks. Perfect for lunch boxes and afternoon snacks, this versatile recipe allows you to mix and match your favorite fruit flavors. Choose your favorite fruit or berry and match it with fruit juices for a snack that delivers antioxidants, flavor and sweetness, but is low in fat and calories. We've come up with this yummy flavor, but you can mix and match for your favorite tastes. They're so easy to make that even small chefs can get in on the cooking action. Whip up a batch (or three) today!
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, diced
- 2 tablespoons organic tart cherry juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons concord grape concentrate
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons agar agar flakes
- 1 tablespoon organic honey
- In a small pot, bring fruit concentrates/juices, water and agar to a boil. Let the mixture simmer on medium until agar is almost dissolved (about 25 minutes).
- Add in the fresh fruit to the kettle and bring to a boil. Simmer until fruit is extra soft (about 5 minutes).
- Remove from stove and let cool for 10 minutes. Transfer mixture to a blender or food processor. Add honey. Mixture will be warm. Blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture onto flat non-stick or sprayed baking sheet or tin. The size of your sheet will determine how thick your gummy snacks will be.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour until firm. Refrigerating overnight allows for the best flavor. After the gummy mixture has firmed and cooled, cut out snacks using shape cutters.
- For best results, keep fruit snacks refrigerated.
Serving Size: Makes 12 servings