What's more cozy than a hot bowl of soup? Get ready to warm up with Great Northern Bean Soup. Low in fat and high in fiber, its comforting flavor is sure to warm you up on chilly evenings. One pot can be made in 30 minutes but will taste like the flavors have been simmering on the stovetop all day.
Of course, we couldn't call it Great Northern Bean Soup without Great Northern Beans from Eden Foods. This versatile bean is made from organically grown great northern beans without added salt. With less fat than pork or beef kielbasa, slices of turkey kielbasa add a smoky flavor to each spoonful. A comforting soup base is made with a combination of low-sodium chicken broth and just enough spices to make it flavorful without being overpowering. Onion, Garlic Powder, Parsley, Italian Seasoning and Black Pepper all blend together for a cozy-tasting foundation for this soup.
- 1 cup fresh carrots, sliced
- 1 cup fresh onion, chopped
- 7 ounces turkey kielbasa, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon organic parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons organic garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon organic Italian spice blend
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground black pepper
- 2 (15 oz) organic Great Northern Beans
1. Grease a large pot with organic extra virgin olive oil or cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
2. In pot, add carrots, onion and kielbasa and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Reduce heat to medium and cook for another 5 minutes.
4. Add in the broth, parsley, garlic, Italian seasoning, peppercorns and beans.
5. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Place 2 cups of the soup aside and let cool. Then process in a food processor or blender until smooth.
7. Return the pureed mixture to the pot. Simmer an additional 5 minutes.
8. Remove soup from heat and serve.
Recipe adapted from MyRecipes.
Serving Size: Makes 7 servings