Think all gluten free recipes are flavorless? Wrong!
These pretzel bites are seriously impressive. They’re fun to make and are the perfect party treat. Serve them fresh out of the oven for a crispy, warm snack.
Some of the ingredients of this recipe might surprise you… check it out!
"These pretzel bites are good with or without dip. They're a must-have at parties, and my family loves them!" – Taylor G.
Time: 1 hour + 30 minutes
Serving size: 5 pretzel bites
- 1 1/4 cups water, lukewarm (additional water might be needed)
- 1 pack quick acting yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds, blended
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
Baking Soda Bath
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1 egg, whisked
- Coarse salt
- Combine 1 1/4 cup warm water with yeast in a bowl and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes until the mixture is foamy.
- Using a stand mixer, combine flour, blended chia seeds, 1 teaspoon salt and baking powder.
- Add olive oil and yeast mixture to the stand mixer and use a dough hook until the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Stop the mixer as needed and use a spatula to scrape the sides.
- Once fully combined, knead the dough for an additional minute using the dough hook. The dough should be a little wet. If it's too dry, add water as needed; if it's too wet, add flour as needed.
- Place pretzel dough into an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and a towel and allow it to double in size (about 30 minutes to 1 hour).
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Lightly grease several baking sheets.
- In a large pot, add 8 cups water and baking soda, whisking to dissolve the baking soda. Allow the baking soda bath to come to a boil while you roll out the dough.
- Keeping your hands wet the entire time will help form the dough easier. Working with a lightly floured surface, cut dough into 6 even pieces. Form each piece of dough into a long log (about 12 inches long and 1 inch wide).
- Cut each log into 8 pieces. These will make up your soft pretzel bites.
- Once the water is boiling, reduce heat to medium-high. Place a few pretzel dough bites into the pot without crowding it. Allow the bites to cook for 30 seconds on each side before removing them with a strainer and placing them on an oiled baking sheet.
- Brush the pretzel bites with a whisked egg and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes. Enjoy plain or with mustard, cheese or another dip.
Recipe used in partnership with A Traveling Wife.Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories 234
- Fat 8.6 grams [Saturated Fat 1.1 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Monounsaturated Fat 2.7 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0.7 g]
- Protein 5.7 grams
- Sodium 340 mgs
- Carbohydrates 36.8 grams
- Fiber 5.1 grams
|Organic Black Chia Seed||Quick Acting Yeast||Organic Olive Oil|