GF Banana Bread Waffles! These hearty, fill-you-up-fast waffles incorporate some of our favorite ingredients—brown rice flour, cinnamon, almond milk, vanilla and of course bananas. They do take a bit longer to cook to perfection than traditional Belgian waffles or buttermilk pancakes, but they're worth the wait! We topped ours with some chopped up walnuts and a few fresh banana slices (admittedly, a few of us also soaked them in syrup). Bottom line: GF Banana Bread Waffles make for a great, relaxed Sunday brunch with family!
- 1 cup whole grain brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup sweet white rice flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon organic ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon organic ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 2 bananas, mashed
- Turn on waffle iron.
- Using a mixer or whisk, beat 2 egg whites until stiff.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the brown rice flour, sweet rice flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Add in egg yolk, milk, vanilla and mashed bananas, then fold in stiff egg whites until gently combined.
- Pour batter directly onto the preheated waffle iron. Cook until brown and the middle of the waffle firms up. Time will vary depending on your waffle iron.
- Serve with your choice of toppings and enjoy!
Serving Size: Makes about 7 waffles