Kick lunch up a notch with Fiery Vegetarian Fried Quinoa. This spicy dish gets its rich flavor from a combination of fresh ingredients and organic spices to wake up your taste buds. This vegetarian-friendly recipe is also high in fiber, so it will keep you feeling full long after mealtime has ended. High in taste but low in calories, it makes a great lunch or light dinner.
We've swapped traditional fried rice for Bob's Red Mill Organic Quinoa in this recipe. Quinoa has a light, nutty flavor and is just as easy to prepare as rice. Pronounced keen-wah, this nutritious grain is also a great source of fiber, iron and amino acids and delivers twice as much protein as rice. Fiery Vegetarian Fried Quinoa calls for Bragg Liquid Aminos as an alternative to soy sauce that delivers 16 amino acids. It also features heart-healthy Swanson Organic EVOO and Swanson Organic Cashews. Spices including Swanson Organic Garlic and Curry powders combine with fresh onion, green and red peppers and basil to bring intense, spicy flavor, which is made a little sweeter with our secret ingredient: fresh pineapple (it's important to the recipe that the pineapple is fresh, not canned). This nutritious dish is full of vegetables including fresh peppers, mushrooms, carrots and peas.
Stir up some Fiery Vegetarian Fried Quinoa tonight for a healthy dish that delivers serious spice to your dinner table!
Time: 30 minutes
Serving size: 1 cup
- 1/8 cup Swanson Organic Certified Organic Cashews Raw, Whole No Salt
- 5 tablespoons Swanson Organic Certified 100% Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Cold Pressed, divided
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill Organic Quinoa, uncooked
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 teaspoons Swanson Organic 100% Certified Organic Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Swanson Organic Certified Organic Curry Powder
- 2 teaspoons Swanson Organic Certified Organic Crushed Red Pepper
- 3 tablespoons Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
Fry the cashews in approximately one tablespoon of oil until golden brown. Set aside.
Boil 2 ½ cups of water. Add quinoa and boil for 12 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Set aside.
Heat remaining olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion, peppers, celery and carrot. Sauté for five minutes, then lower to medium heat. Add garlic powder, black pepper, curry powder, crushed red pepper and liquid aminos. Stir. Mix the cooked quinoa into the vegetables and stir thoroughly. Add mushrooms, peas, basil, pineapple and cashews. Cook for an additional 10 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories 309
- Fat 13 grams [Saturated Fat 1.5 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Monounsaturated Fat 7 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g]
- Protein 10 grams
- Sodium 397 mgs
- Carbohydrates 40.5 grams
- Fiber 6 grams