Kick your meal up a notch with Fiery Vegetarian Fried Quinoa. This spicy dish gets its rich flavor from a combination of fresh ingredients and organic spices to wake up your taste buds.
This vegetarian-friendly recipe is also high in fiber, so it will keep you feeling full long after mealtime has ended. High in taste but low in calories, it makes a great lunch or light dinner.
Stir up some Fiery Vegetarian Fried Quinoa tonight for a healthy dish that delivers serious spice to your dinner table!
Time: 30 minutes
Serving size: 1 cup
- 1/8 cup cashews
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups quinoa, uncooked
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 3 tablespoons liquid aminos
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
1. Fry the cashews in approximately one tablespoon of oil until golden brown. Set aside.
2. Boil 2 ½ cups of water. Add quinoa and boil for 12 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Set aside.
3. Heat remaining olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion, peppers, celery and carrot. Sauté for five minutes, then lower to medium heat.
4. Add garlic powder, black pepper, curry powder, crushed red pepper and liquid aminos. Stir.
5. Mix the cooked quinoa into the vegetables and stir thoroughly.
6. Add mushrooms, peas, basil, pineapple and cashews. Cook for an additional 10 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories 309
- Fat 13 grams [Saturated Fat 1.5 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Monounsaturated Fat 7 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g]
- Protein 10 grams
- Sodium 397 mgs
- Carbohydrates 40.5 grams
- Fiber 6 grams