Prepare for your kitchen to smell amazing and for your mouth to water. Swirls of sweet cinnamon goodness are wrapped in warm, soft bread.
This recipe is fun and easy to make and uses ingredients that you might not expect to make an appearance in a bread recipe.
Enjoy this bread while it’s warm, and for an even more decadent experience, try using it for French toast!
“I love to toast this bread and spread coconut oil on it!” – Terry G.
Time: 3 hours, 15 minutes
Serving size: 1 slice
- 1 cup almond milk, plus extra for brushing loaf
- 4 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 3 eggs (reserve one for brushing loaf)
- 1 medium very ripe banana
- 3 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Organic olive oil spray
- 1 cup dates
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- In a high speed food processor, add dates and hot water. Allow to sit while making the dough.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm almond milk and butter together (do not allow to boil). Once butter has completely melted, remove saucepan from heat. Allow the almond milk and butter mixture to cool until just warm to the touch, then stir in the active dry yeast packet. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Using an electric stand mixer with paddle attachment, combine two eggs and the banana until thoroughly combined. Pour in the almond milk, butter and yeast mixture and stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and salt. Add half the flour mixture to the stand mixer and mix until thoroughly combined with the other ingredients. Add the remaining flour mixture and stir until fully combined. Remove the paddle attachment and add the dough hook. Knead dough on medium speed for 10 minutes.
- Warm a glass bowl in the microwave or warm a metal bowl by setting the bottom in hot water. Spray the inside of the bowl with cooking spray. Remove the bread dough from the stand mixer and place into sprayed bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap then cover with a towel. Set aside for 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using the food processor, blend the dates and water together until a paste forms, scraping the sides as necessary. Add cinnamon and blend together. Set aside.
- Turn dough out onto working surface. Roll dough into a rectangle no wider than your loaf pan and about 18 inches in length. Evenly spread date paste onto dough then roll the dough tightly towards yourself. Pinch seam and place seam side down into greased loaf pan. Cover loaf pan tightly with plastic wrap and then a towel. Set aside for 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a small bowl, combine one egg with a splash of almond milk. Brush mixture onto bread dough and bake on a middle/lower rack for 40 minutes or until bread is golden brown on top.
- Remove from loaf pan and allow to cool completely prior to cutting.
Recipe used in partnership with a traveling Wife.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories 267
- Fat 6.8 grams [Saturated Fat 3.2 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Monounsaturated Fat 1.6 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0.3 g]
- Protein 7.9 grams
- Sodium 148 mg
- Carbohydrates 44 grams
- Fiber 7.4 grams
- Sugar 10 grams
|Whole Wheat Flour||Organic Medjool Dates||Organic Ground Cinnamon|