Admit it—sometimes you simply don't have the time or energy to make a breakfast you can be proud of. So how about Sunday evening, when you're relaxing, you whip up some healthy Blueberry Scones that everyone in your family will devour? These tasty morsels are great for a quick breakfast, morning snack or even something to indulge that sweet tooth. We felt it was about time this traditional favorite got the Swanson spin to make it into a treat you can feel good about eating! These blueberry scones are even better than the ones you're used to because they're made with coconut oil and almond milk. They are perfectly crumbly and perfectly delicious. Who said healthy can't taste good? One batch will make about 12 scones, and they only take 16-18 minutes to bake. Give these blueberry scones a whirl and you will not be disappointed!
Time: 45 minutes
Serving size: 1 scone
- 2 tablespoons Swanson Organic Certified Organic Milled Flaxseed
- 1 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour
- 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1/4 cup NOW Foods Turbinado Sugar Certified Organic
- 2 teaspoons Bob's Red Mill Double Acting Baking Powder Aluminum Free
- 1/4 teaspoon Swanson Ultra Himalayan Crystal Salt
- 1/4 cup Swanson Organic Certified 100% Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1 6-ounce carton low fat/fat free plain yogurt
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 packages Nature's All Foods Organic Freeze-Dried Blueberries
- 2 tablespoons Blue Diamond Almond Milk - Almond Breeze Original Unsweetened
- Rolled oats and/or flaxseeds, optional
Preheat oven to 400° F. Soak dried blueberries in water for approximately 15 minutes and set aside. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, mix flaxseed, flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, and salt together. Using a standing or hand mixer, combine dry mixture and coconut oil together until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a divot in the center of the flour mixture and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine yogurt and egg white. Drain any excess water from the blueberries and gently fold them in to the yogurt and egg mixture. Dump yogurt mixture into flour mixture. Using a fork, stir until moistened.
Knead dough on a lightly floured surface, folding and gently pressing dough for 10 to 12 strokes or until it is nearly smooth. Pat or lightly roll into a 10-inch circle and cut into 12 wedges. Place wedges 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet. Brush tops of scones lightly with almond milk. If desired, sprinkle scones with additional oats and/or flaxseeds.
Bake for 16 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories 166
- Fat 6 grams [Saturated Fat 4 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Monounsaturated Fat 0.25 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0.41 g]
- Protein 5 grams
- Sodium 154 mgs
- Carbohydrates 24 grams
- Fiber 4 grams
|Extra Virgin Coconut Oil||Rolled Oats||Organic Blueberries|