Save time (and dishes) with this quick and easy dinner recipe. Skillet Gnocchi is a great tasting meal—and you only need one skillet to make it! Beans and veggies make it healthy, and with saucy tomatoes and melted cheese, it's something kids will love, too. Hearty and filling, our Skillet Gnocchi delivers a plateful of nutrients.
Gnocchi is an Italian dumpling made from potato, semolina or flour. We've used navy beans in our skillet. This versatile bean is a good natural source of fiber and protein. Our Skillet Gnocchi calls for chard leaves, but you can use any of your favorite greens, like spinach or kale. Diced tomatoes are a key ingredient, along with basil and garlic. Garlic powder combines with peppercorns, fresh onions and mozzarella and parmesan cheeses for a rich flavor.
With these healthy ingredients and just 20 minutes, you can have a great-tasting meal that leaves you feeling full, satisfied and with very few dishes to clean up!
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 16 oz gnocchi
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon organic garlic powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 cups organic chard leaves, chopped
- 14.5 oz (can or fresh) tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 cloves roasted garlic, minced
- 1 can (15 oz) organic navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- Heat 3 teaspoons olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add gnocchi and cook, stirring often, for 5 to 7 minutes or until gnocchi are plumped and starting to brown. Transfer gnocchi to a bowl.
- In skillet, add remaining one teaspoon oil and onion and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes. Stir in water and garlic powder. Cover and cook 4 to 6 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
- Add in chard and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until greens start to wilt.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in gnocchi and sprinkle with cheeses.
- Cover and cook for 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling.
Serving Size: Makes 6 servings