Ok, I admit it. I am a major chocoholic! But, I like to focus on the positive: Cacao — from which chocolate is made — is chock-full of organic foods benefits thanks to its bevy of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Small amounts of dark chocolate can be part of a natural health diet. The problem? Most commercial chocolate is loaded with junk — trans fats, fillers, emulsifiers and sugar. These things far outweigh any of cacao's natural health benefits.
So what are we to do? Use our own healthy chocolate recipe of course!
This recipe is for healthier homemade chocolate using natural health food products that are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
What You Need:
- 1/2 cup cocoa butter, grated
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 cup organic cocoa powder
- 2 tbs lucuma powder (it’ll make the chocolate creamy, like milk chocolate, and add sweetness)
- 4-6 tbs agave nectar for sweetening or liquid stevia to taste (organic honey is good too if you’re not afraid of calories and carbs; or you don’t have to use any sweetener at all)
What You Do:
- Grate 1/2 cup of the cocoa butter. It will melt easier when it’s grated.
- Measure also 1/2 cup of coconut oil.
- Place cocoa butter and coconut oil in a small, heat-safe cup or bowl. Then place the cup or bowl in a shallow pan containing a small amount of nearly boiling water. Stir the oil and butter occasionally until it’s smooth.
- Measure 1/2 cup cocoa powder and 2 tbs lucuma powder.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with melted coconut oil and cocoa butter. Stir continuously until smooth.
- If you want to sweeten your chocolate, pour 4-6 tbs agave nectar or stevia into the mix and stir. Add sweetener, taste, add some more, taste again… you get the point.
- Pour the melted chocolate on a pan or plate coated with aluminum foil. You can also use an ice cube tray.
- Place the chocolate for 30 minutes in the freezer or 60 minutes in the refrigerator until set. Enjoy!
*I have to admit that I haven't gotten around to making this recipe yet. If you get to it before me, let me know how it is!