- Choose guacamole over salsa for your chips, just don't eat too much. If you don't know if there will be any, bring some. Guacamole gives you substance and makes you feel full or satisfied whereas you'll munch on many a chip and salsa before you reach the same conclusion.
- Pickles over olives. I just read about this one. Because the pickle is bigger and it takes longer for you to eat, you'll feel more full.
- Popcorn. Popcorn has been my lifesaver at many a party. It's low calorie and you can hold a handful at a time while you mingle, making you feel like you've eaten more than you really have. Even if it's the full butter kind, it's still better than eating other fatty snack foods.
- Sangria rather than high sugar drinks, such as margaritas, and wine over beer. If you don't drink alcohol, buy organic tea and bring it along...just be sure to bring some to share!
- Bring your own snacks. If you know the hosts won't be serving anything healthy, bring your own munchies like raw organic nuts, organic pumpkin seeds or other natural organic foods.
Tuesday, October 26, 2010 •
Is eating smart at a party even possible? Well, there are many books out there that say yes. My cousin is having a party at his lake place this weekend, so I'm going to have to go to this party thinking strategically. But seriously, if you like to eat, how do you really avoid overindulging on all those tasty party foods and ruining all the healthy weight watching you've been working so hard on? Here are some tips I've picked up over the years that seem to work for me: