- Start your day off by taking your multivitamin and mineral in the morning, unless you’re taking both fiber and a multi with iron. This way you’ll give your body all the nutrients it needs to function throughout the day.
- If you’re supplementing both fiber and iron, take fiber first and on an empty stomach. Fiber can prevent iron from being absorbed.
- Fat soluble vitamins A, D and E need nutrients from food to break down properly and be fully absorbed.
- Take calcium supplements before bed because calcium is utilized at night and can help you fall asleep.
- Split up vitamin C supplements throughout the day because it’s a water soluble vitamin. Just don’t take it before bedtime because it can keep you awake.
- Take digestive enzymes with meals for best effects.
Health Tips update for Tuesday, May 18: Making taking your vitamins part of your daily routine can help you remember to take your supplements every day. But what time of day should you take your vitamins and supplements? Well, it depends on what specific nutrient you’re taking. Most vitamins are ingested best with food, which makes it easier to remember to take them. Taking vitamins with food may also help prevent nauseous or queasy feelings. Some people believe staggering them throughout the day promotes digestion and assimilation of the nutrients. Each supplement label will tell you whether it can be taken on an empty or full stomach, but here are some general tips to keep in mind.