Daily Health Tips update for June 20:
Summertime is a great opportunity to get outside with friends and family, but common yard plants can cause adverse reactions for both humans and animals if touched or ingested. Rounding out our Home Safety Month tips, check out this list of potentially hazardous plants and make sure little ones and furry friends stay safely away this summer. If you do have children or pets, find out if what you’re planting (or what’s already in your yard) is dangerous for them.
The colorful beauties are common in summer landscaping, but can cause itchy skin and if ingested can have side effects ranging from stomach pain to weakness and sweating and can even affect the body’s circulation.
These ‘bunny tailed’ flowers are a gorgeous sight in yards across the world, but ingesting any part of these flowers can cause vomiting and an accelerated heartbeat.
Also knows as narcissus, these beautiful yellow flowers have a toxic bulb that people often confuse with onions. Eating them can result in severe stomach cramps and diarrhea.
This cute, white cluster flower has been known as one of the most toxic plants in North America. Ingestion of even a small amount can cause death in both humans and animals. Attacking the central nervous system, water hemlock causes violent convulsions and seizures.
While lilies are generally safe for humans to be around, they can prove deadly for cats. Varieties of lilies such as Tiger lilies, Asian lilies, Easter lilies, Stargazer lilies and Rubrum lilies can and often do cause death in cats. Toxins from the leaves, stems and petals attack the cat’s kidneys, sending it into acute renal failure. Often vets can do nothing to help the cat and it will usually die within five days.