Daily Health Tips update for August 13:
Ayurveda is all about keeping the doshas (Vata, Pitta and Kapha) in balance. Practitioners believe Type 2 diabetes is an imbalance of Kapha, which controls our metabolism and physical structure. Try these tips from Ayurvedic teaching to fight diabetes:
- Use all spices, especially pepper, mustard seed and ginger, but cut back on salt.
- Stay away from refined grains, including wheat and rice. Instead, eat barley, buckwheat and millet.
- Get protein from any kind of beans, but use soybeans in moderation.
- Avoid heavier foods including dairy products, bananas and pineapples.
- Instead of green or black tea, drink ginger tea for digestive support.
- Eat only when you’re hungry and sit down during meals. Take your time eating so that your body can slowly digest your food.
- Keep moving! Just like modern medicine, Ayurveda emphasizes exercise and physical activity as a way to prevent and control diabetes.
Source: Alternative Medicine