Turning on the AC isn’t the only way to beat summer heat. You can quickly cool off without spending a bundle, or even anything at all. Check out these 6 clever ideas.
- Crack a window: Overnight ventilation is key―before going to sleep, open the windows to allow cool air to circulate through the house. During the day, keep windows closed and covered.
- Freeze your clothes: Putting a shirt in the freezer for a few minutes may seem silly, but it’s a quick and effective heat-buster that doesn’t cost a dime.
- Ditch your shoes: Your body releases much of its heat through your head and feet. Take off your shoes and go barefoot as often as you can.
- Spritz yourself: Keep your refrigerator stocked with small bottles filled with cold water, then simply spray yourself throughout the day for instant relief. Add a few drops of essential oils for a refreshing scent.
- Get creative with fans: Fill a shallow bowl with ice and place it in front of a fan. As the ice melts and evaporates, the air from the fan will help spread the cold vapor throughout the room. For a quick cooling sensation, apply a peppermint-based lotion or moisturizer to your face or neck and plant yourself in front of the breeze.
- Eat cool snacks: Fruits and vegetables are packed with moisture that helps your body stay hydrated and comfortable. Freeze grapes or melon cubes for an extra frosty snack.