Kids burn a lot of energy at school, so make sure you’re refueling them with healthy foods to keep their bodies going. Try any of these after school snacks for a healthy, tasty treat.
- Popcorn. Either air-popped or made with organic olive oil for healthy fat and sprinkled lightly with cinnamon, cayenne pepper or parmesan, this snack is filling, low in calories and high in fiber.
- Apple Slices and Warm Nut Butter. For a tasty high fiber and high protein snack, warm up the nut butter in the microwave for a few seconds to make it easier to use as a dip.
- Fruit Smoothie. Mix low-fat plain yogurt with a splash of vanilla and any fruit you have (frozen or fresh) for a delicious smoothie. If you’re feeling daring, add some avocado slices or spinach leaves to the blender. It comes out looking green, but we promise they’ll never be able to taste it.
- Veggies and Hummus. Hummus provides healthy proteins and fats that will be sure to keep kids full until dinner. It also comes in a variety of flavors, and combined with crunchy veggies such as peppers or carrots, is sure to give picky eaters lots of choices.
- Frozen Bananas. These would need to be prepared ahead of time, but they provide lots of potassium. Simply stick half a peeled banana with a Popsicle stick, set on waxed paper for an hour in the freezer, and wrap in plastic wrap. For a little extra nutrition, you can roll in low fat yogurt and granola before freezing.